Songs of the New World Order - The Blondi's Salvation - LICK MY DECALS OFF, BABY! #77


Today, as a little Christmas bonus, Steve and I have given you dear readers a little treat, and ourselves a bit of a headache, no doubt. One day as Steve was traversing the streets, he was caught in a torrential downpour of inspiration, and an idea so brilliant drenched his hair and soaked through his clothes. “We on this blog always write about music we like,” thought he, “so why not, for once, write about music that the other person likes?” Genius, some would say. Others, insanity. Regardless, I was game. We exchanged a few albums, had a listen to what floats the other’s boat, (Which is rarely, if ever, the same sort of thing) and now the result of this crazy exchange of ideas lies before you in all its Helvetica glory. I’m writing about The Blondi’s Salvation, which is both a privilege and a frustration because I normally like to try and read up a bit about a band before writing about them for context and whatnot, try and find out their influences and so forth. The Blondi’s Salvation appear to be pretty obscure (and by that I mean they don’t have their own Wikipedia page) and so pretty much the only information I can get on them is that they’re from Nantes, France. I’m pretty sure this was a deliberate move by Steve; merry Christmas too, ye git. Anyhow, upon reflection and listening, I’ve concluded that it doesn’t actually matter too much that I know nothing about them. I know the important thing, and that’s that this album rocks.

I’ll admit I was pretty skeptical about this whole idea due to my increasing indifference to rock and “heavy” music over the last number of years. But right from the onset of this album I was fairly sure I’d be in for a ride I’d enjoy.  A gentle sitar introduction acts as a prelude to the vaguely Eastern guitar and drum parts, with the chanting, distant vocals adding to the intrigue. Meanwhile the guitar and drums keep plodding along, leading on the track in slight variations in tone and volume, all the while keeping this strange, psychedelic  theme flowing and growing, a la The End by The Doors. Yet it’s more than that; the droning vocals are so far off, the sitar fading in and out of prominence, that the track has the feeling of a dream rather than a nightmare, slinking and sliding with a touch of menace but a great deal more intrigue. And that’s just for starters: as I progress through the album I’m treated to more layers and layers of shimmering guitar lines, some of the best and most addictive guitar lines I’ve heard in a while, might I add. Eargasmic psychedelia. The vocals of the lead singer that never EVER feel close enough to tangibly realize: they’re off drifting above my head, reaching my awareness as a remnant of their passing. Cosmic music alright, and like the album says, it feels like it’s heralding a new world order. The chanting and deliberate, organized sonic richness of this album feels strangely spiritual, an invitation to experience the transcendence that the band is clearly feeling on this great work. And I mean, check out the artwork, the name of the band even, track names like  Show Me The Way, Path of the New God… I feel the band is expressing something spiritual here, what it is I’m not sure, but I feel they’re getting there alright. And one can feel the urgency and seriousness of their drive: songs like Show Me The Way are progressions and expositions in transcendence: the most well realized psychedelia I’ve heard in a long time, and that’s what psychedelia is all about, isn’t it? Experiencing an altered state of consciousness or awareness or reality, and these things manifesting themselves through experience and art? One thing I can say is that The Blondi’s Salvation clearly have their third eye open to this extrasensory possibility, and their music is a superb manifestation of this. The so named Open Your Third Eye is perhaps the most explicitly psychedelic piece here, with its lo-fi sitar drone, crazed sixties electric organ (gotta love that nostalgic sound) and pulsing bass and drum pattern, giving the song real direction and pushing it along and upward towards the upper limit of human awareness. It’s a great example of what the band seems to be about; damned if I know for sure, but one listen to Songs of the New World Order and you can hear measure and determination in the band’s music. Careful precision and ordered hallucination: this isn’t wild improv a la Hendrix, this psychedelia is carefully thought through to usher a statement. What is that statement? I can guess: this is, or should be, the new world order. The new musical order. We’re heralding a type of music that y’all should get onto and take heed of. Get some thought into your music, expand your mind and think how much better the world would be if we all did this? We’d have peace. We’d all be linked by a common understanding and manifesto to make the world a better place through music. I can only hope somebody’s going to expand on the brilliant vision that The Blondi’s Salvation has given us.

Subscript: I genuinely wasn’t expecting to like this anywhere near as much as I did. At just under 38 minutes it’s not a minute too long, all 7 songs are indispensible and the first time I listened to it I put it right back on again. There’s not a lick about this album I would change. It’s that good. And it come highly recommended by not just myself, but my co-conspirator, and you can get it quite easily on their Bandcamp page for whatever price you want, so seriously, what are you waiting for? If you’re stuck for a Christmas gift, getting someone this album is going to be a pretty good idea.

Words – Adam.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...